Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Technical Advisor
Based in Washington DC
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to the Senior SBC Technical Advisor
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
We are looking for dynamic candidates with significant technical experience and expertise in social and behavior change communication (SBCC) for the position of SBC Technical Advisor. The position will focus on innovation, thought leadership and implementation of SBC, and cut across health areas, supporting countries in achieving desired improvements in health and development outcomes, including increasing demand for family planning (FP) and satisfaction with modern contraception; ending preventable child and maternal deaths (EPCMD); achieving and maintaining an AIDS-Free Generation (AFG); and achieving a malaria-free world.
The SBC Technical Advisor should have significant experience with and knowledge of evidence-based SBC theory and strategy; current global best practices in SBC; use of rigorous monitoring and evaluation techniques to create real-time feedback loops; and be consistently looking for ways to innovate and test new approaches to change behavior. Our ideal candidate has experience with consumer and market research, and human centered design. This position will be based in Washington, D.C. with 25% travel.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Provide technical leadership in SBC design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation
- Support the evolution of PSI's SBC approach across a range of country and regional programs and liaise with PSI's technical teams to ensure integrated SBC approaches across PSI
- Work to integrate SBC and human-centered design approaches into PSI's program design process
- Facilitate workshops around and build capacity of PSI's program design process across health areas
- Work closely with knowledge management staff to ensure user-friendly and wide dissemination of lessons learned in SBC and program design
- Develop appropriate tools for SBC design, implementation and other technical components as necessary
- Provide effective short term technical assistance in SBC and program design to PSI's country offices as required
- Work with global technical and country office teams to test and determine best strategies, including human-centered design, to uncover target audience insights and translate them into quality program design
- Develop, present and share PSI's work in SBC globally and at national level to donors, relevant government agencies and others to create a public good from PSI's learnings
What are we looking for?
- You have a Master's degree in public health, communication, behavioral or social sciences, human development, or a related field
- You have 5+ years' experience in the design and/or implementation of SBC programs across health areas
- You have designed, implemented and evaluated SBC programs with demonstrated health impact
- You have experience providing SBC technical direction to projects, strategically designing programs, and determining effective ways to measure and evaluate implementation and impact
- You have demonstrated thought leadership in the field of SBC and are comfortable writing about and presenting your work
- You have used multi-disciplinary approaches to design and implement SBC programs or brought inter-disciplinary teams together to take on a challenge
- You have experience engaging beneficiaries in intervention design and development
- You are willing to travel approximately 25% during the life of the program
- You have experience working with USAID, Gates Foundation, DfID and other international donors
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- At least 5 years of experience living or working in a developing country is highly preferred
- Fluency in English required, French fluency a plus
What would get us excited?
A Strategist and an Innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You are open to new thinking and processes and are eager to find ways to make them work. You are intrigued by the challenge of bringing together complementary disciplines and new thinking in practical ways.
Strong technical leadership. You believe in the power of behavior change, and have worked on both large and small projects that have used this approach with demonstrated impact. You possess strong technical skills and deep knowledge in SBC that you can and have applied across different health areas. You have solid understanding of quality standards in SBC and can hold your own in a room with other specialists in this area, diplomatically defending unconventional approaches to longstanding problems.
Health Area Experience. You have experience applying SBC to a specific health area and have deeper knowledge in HIV, Family Planning, NCDs, WASH or Malaria.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. B.PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
*Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.