FHI 360 is recruiting a Communications and Media Specialist for the anticipated USAID-funded Donbas Governance program. The purpose of the project is to promote inclusive civic identity and common civic values by addressing the divisive impacts of Russian aggression, Ukrainian ultra-nationalism, and the consequences of ongoing armed conflict. The activity will promote civic awareness, social and economic entrepreneurship, and improve democratic engagement between citizens and government institutions as well as improve community services in areas most affected by these divisive influences.
The Communications and Media Specialist is responsible for capacity building of Ukrainian civil society organizations, citizens, government officials, the private sector, and local media partners, as well as promoting a strategic communications approach that will result in increased knowledge of and participation by all local stakeholders in project activities. The position will be required to have a strong network of current media outlets across a wide range of platforms and modalities, including print, radio, TV, and social media. The position is responsible for incorporating this approach as crosscutting to all project activities and amplifying the impact of the program in a manner that increases democratic engagement between citizens and government institutions. The position will be delegated other management responsibilities by the project Chief of Party (COP) as appropriate, including staff performance management, project management and senior representation roles.
The position will be based in Kramatorsk, Ukraine, and requires regular travel in the Donbas region. Please note the position is contingent upon receipt of funding
- Technical support, guidance and mentoring to project staff, grantees, citizens, local administrations, local media partners.
- Work with the Chief of Party, local partners, and local staff to design innovative strategies that support local media outlets and strengthen the media and civil society sectors holistically.
- Maintain in-depth understanding of issues affecting both the media community and the civil society community in Ukraine, including security and political factors.
- Work with program management team to ensure effective implementation of local media partner activities, including use of appropriate approaches (leaflets, billboards, radio, TV, social media, etc.) to increase participation in and knowledge of project activities; amplify project messages and impact.
- Strengthen and oversee curriculum development, training and mentoring activities, as necessary.
- Support strategic communications efforts to catalyze public demand for accountability, advance key new and ongoing reform efforts, and promote anti-corruption work, including designing and implementing media tools to help define key messages and serve as a delivery platform.
- Provide input to project activity design (Grants Under Contract) for local activity management teams, program management staff, and M&E staff.
- At least 10 years of experience in strategic communications, media advocacy and engagement on rule of law, human rights, transparency and accountability issues, or related fields, specifically in the Donbas region, as well as throughout Ukraine.
- Five or more years of technical experience in dealing with multiple stakeholders, specifically on civil society and governance programs; USAID programs preferred.
- Substantial experience with a broad range of platforms, including radio, TV, social and digital media.
- Fluency in English, Russian, and Ukrainian.
- Thorough understanding of the technical, political and social issues specific to the Donbas region of Ukraine.
- Experience in journalism training and media capacity-building preferred.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.