Internews is seeking a Chief of Party candidate for a USAID-funded media and civil society support initiative with the general goal of strengthening non-governmental entities’ abilities to advocate for better governance, and inclusive democratic practices. The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration policies; and coordinate with other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and compliments other media development initiatives. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnership and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for the project.
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the region to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media issues in the country (print, broadcast and new media), and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media and civil society.
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated.
- Provide management and oversight support to Country Representative on daily operations of the Internews’ project in the country.
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the project.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Carry out management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Manage and oversee project staff, in close coordination and collaboration with Internews’ Bangladesh Country Representative. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Significant professional experience in civil society/advocacy, as well as media (print, broadcast or new media).
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for civil society organizations (CSOs), journalists and media outlets.
- Experience engaging and supporting women, youth and other marginalized populations.
- Previous senior-level management experience, including significant staff, financial and administrative oversight.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience managing in the region is highly desired.
- Local language skills are highly desirable.