HARVESTPLUS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
LOCALLY RECRUITED POSITION
POSTING DATE: NOVEMBER 22, 2017
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
HarvestPlus seeks a highly-motivated Senior Media Relations Specialist to join our team. The successful candidate will manage the organization’s media presence. This exempt position is a two year, fixed term, renewable appointment and is located at HarvestPlus headquarters in Washington, DC.
HarvestPlus improves nutrition and public health by developing and promoting biofortified food crops that are rich in vitamins and minerals while providing global leadership on evidence and technology. HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. The HarvestPlus program is coordinated by two of these centers, the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Refine and update HarvestPlus’s external media strategy and tactics as needed to reach targeted audiences with information about biofortification research from HarvestPlus and research partners.
- Coordinate, develop, and implement the media team’s proactive media relations efforts to obtain coverage of HarvestPlus research and activities in targeted developed and developing countries.
- Organize media outreach campaigns and press events, including launches of HarvestPlus reports; write and edit press materials and other content.
- Build strong relationships with HarvestPlus researchers both in Washington, DC and in the field to represent and disseminate their research and publications to reporters, donors, policymakers and leaders of the international development community.
- Maintain and develop relationships in the U.S. and key nations globally with journalists and editors from key media outlets, including print, online, television, and radio reporters as well as bloggers, to ensure that HarvestPlus is a key source for biofortification, agriculture and nutrition news, among other topics.
- Work closely with field-based communications specialists to provide guidance and develop their capabilities on the ground; ensure their outreach is high-quality, engaging, and consistent with other HarvestPlus outreach.
- Provide content for various platforms as needed (fact sheets, success stories, press briefings, op-ed articles, blogs).
- Provide media training for researchers and staff; and maintain strong internal communications with headquarters and country teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications or other relevant areas plus ten years of journalism or media relations experience (or master’s degree plus seven years of journalism or media relations experience).
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Demonstrated ability to write clean, engaging copy, including op-eds, articles and reports of the highest quality on deadline.
- Existing contacts at major media outlets from which to build new relationships; a keen understanding of traditional and digital media and newsworthiness in the U.S. and globally and ability to persuade reporters to cover an issue or event.
- Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience of proactively using social media channels to engage with the media and secure press coverage.
- Ability to work well in a team setting and under pressure of deadlines when necessary; and, ability to work independently and in a multicultural environment.
- Background knowledge in economics, agriculture, science or global health strongly preferred
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally (approximately 2-3 trips per year).
- Overseas experience, especially in Africa, Asia or Latin America.
- Working knowledge of, or fluency in, French or Spanish.
Click on the following link to access the Senior Media Relations Specialist job application: http://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IFPRI&cws=1&rid=1700
Please complete the online application and provide a complete resume, detailed letter of interest, and three references. For more information about HarvestPlus and/or IFPRI, please visit our websites at www.HarvestPlus.org and www.ifpri.org. EOE.