The USAID-funded Balkans Media Assistance Program (BMAP) is a regional media support project in the Balkans focused on strengthening the competitiveness, sustainability, and cooperation of the independent media sector in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia. BMAP will aim to make media more competitive in the local and regional marketplaces and strengthen the sustainability of the independent media sector across the region, particularly in the digital space. BMAP will be implemented by Internews with administrative oversight from FHI360.
The Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer will implement the Monitoring and Evaluation Plan (MEP), designed in coordination with Internews’ DC-based M&E specialist and FHI 360’s monitoring and evaluation advisor. S/he will organize focus groups, surveys and other methods of gathering information on the project’s results and indicators. S/he will be responsible for maintaining accurate records on data gathered during all stages of project implementation in line with USAID data quality standards, providing M&E data in quarterly reports and as requested by USAID, and liaising with external evaluators should USAID conduct any evaluations. The position will be based in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work with the Chief of Party, Internews’ and FHI360’s M&E staff, and local partners to design a reporting and M&E framework and systems for the BMAP project.
- Hold semi-annual Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning check-ins with relevant staff members and use feedback to adapt the MEL plan and data collection systems accordingly.
- Responsible for collecting, verifying, and reporting M&E data required in the BMAP M&E plan in compliance with USAID’s, Internews’, and FHI360’s data quality standards.
- Manage the routine and systematic collection of data from all sub-grantees in accordance with their grant agreements by working collaboratively with the BMAP Grants Manager, members of Key Partner media outlets, and mentors and technical advisors.
- Develop internal tracking systems to maintain M&E data in an organized, secure, and easy-to-understand way.
- Monitor, review and ensure the quality of M&E data from Key Partners, mentors, grantees, and technical specialists.
- Oversee consistent application of M&E standards by BMAP subgrantees, ensuring that all sub-awards include well-designed M&E plans that utilize realistic and relevant indicators and targets.
- Provide training, mentoring and oversight of subgrantees’ M&E systems, reports, and products.
- Input all required training and M&E data into USAID’s online systems (e.g. TraiNet) as required by the project agreement.
- Support the design and implementation of baseline/midline assessments and other surveys according to the approved workplan.
- Reporting and Communications
- Assist the Chief of Party and other project staff in producing regular, timely and accurate narrative reports (including M&E data) per donor guidelines. Work closely with project and HQ staff to revise the reports as necessary.
- Coordinate with subgrantees to ensure their timely submission of monitoring and evaluation data and examples of project impact that meet Internews’and donor standards for quality, detail, and clarity.
- Respond to requests from the donor and HQ staff about M&E data, methodologies, and examples of project impact from various target countries/partners promptly and accurately.
- Produce project communications materials and success stories as per donor requirements and Internews’ internal standards in conjunction with other project staff as required.
- Assist the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and HQ staff in the development, drafting, and editing of annual project workplans.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 3 years professional experience in the field of performance measurement for social development activities and/or media. Experience working on USAID-funded projects is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and M&E database systems. Knowledge of data management processes and tools, including USAID’s database systems.
- Experience with relevant M&E and communications software, such as Excel, SPSS, In-Design, Photoshop etc.
- Experience working with and providing technical and/or capacity building support to media outlets in the Balkans.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place and experience providing technical support to a cross-section of staff and local partners.
- Fluency in English and at least one local Balkan language required; fluency or proficiency in at least two local Balkan languages strongly preferred.
- Solid English writing skills, to a publishable standard.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and information management skills.
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and reliably, to a high standard and to deadline.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff.
- Willingness to travel to project areas in different locations across the project target countries.
- Bachelor degree in social science, development, or related field or equivalent standard of education. Master’s degree and/or professional training in M&E preferred.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.