At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
IntraHealth International, Inc. is currently implementing TRANSFORM/ Health in Developing Regions (HDR). This is a USAID-funded project led by Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia. The project aims to achieve increased utilization of quality MNCH/FP services in Afar, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella and Somali regions of Ethiopia through increased access to integrated MNCH/FP services at health facility and community levels and strengthened health systems.
Summary of the role
The Health Communication Advisor will work with Ministry of Health, Regional Health Bureaus, non-governmental organizations, community organizations, USAID and other stakeholders to achieve the implementation of an integrated Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) strategy encompassing maternal and child health (MNCH) and family planning and reproductive health. The Health Communication Advisor ensures that MNCH/FP/RH information and messages reflect national and regional policies and procedures and that SBCC activities motivate communities, families and individuals to improve their health behavior and use of services. S/he will also be responsible for supervising regionally based Health Communication Officers.
- Provides technical assistance to the regional teams to develop and implement health communication strategies, in all phases from formative research, through design, media and materials production, community mobilization and evaluation.
- Responsible for sharing best practices in their field of expertise and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in MNCH/FP/RH technical networks.
- Develop or review technical resource materials related to MNCH/FP/RH (e.g., training materials, SBCC plans, strategy documents, job aids) and programming tools to support meeting project objectives.
- Work with project staff and partners to design communication and messaging content.
- Represent the project at national level SBCC technical forums and ensure that SBCC activities are coordinated with and compliment other partners and MOH SBCC initiatives.
- Contribute to quarterly and annual reporting, work planning and budgeting.
- Strengthen capacities of regional staff and regional health bureaus to develop and manage health communication activities.
- Travel to the project regions quarterly to provide technical assistance to the regional teams, monitor implementation of activities and quality thereof.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in health communications, public health management, social sciences, international development, or a related field preferred.
- Eight years of Health communication experience in the health sector.
- Knowledge and experience in health education and behavioral change communication is required.
- A minimum of five years’ experience of technical leadership and management of relevant projects.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in developing and implementing a behavioral change communication strategy, focusing on creating demand for community and facility-based health services.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in designing and implementing MNCH/FP/RH projects that include a strong behavior change communication component.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in developing behavioral change communication tools and materials.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Local language skills are an advantage.
- Innovation - Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth's performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
- Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth's success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Service Excellence - Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Client Relationship Management: Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy current client needs and maintain a partnering relationship during engagements; includes influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, Build and manage new relationships and collaborative alliances.
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written) - Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
- Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
Masters or better in Public Health or related field.
5 years: Experience of technical leadership and management of relevant projects; developing and implementing a behavioral change communication strategy, focusing on creating demand for community and facility-based health services; designing and implementing MNCH/FP/RH projects that include a strong behavior change communication component; developing behavioral change communication tools and materials.
10 years: Health communications experience in the health sector.