Position Title: Gender Specialist (Senior Technical Officer, Gender)
Reporting To: Chief of Party- HIV Service Delivery Support Activity
Project: HIV Service Delivery Support Activity – Rift Valley
FHI 360 is currently seeking a Gender Specialist (Senior Technical Officer, Gender) for the USAID-funded HIV Service Delivery Support Activity. The project aims to increase availability and use of combination prevention services; increase uptake of HIV testing services, and improve long-term follow up of patients receiving care and treatment services.
Provides technical leadership and implementation support for HIV Service Delivery Support Activity to develop strategies to address gender issues related to uptake of HIV testing, care and treatment services, including addressing gender-based violence, male norms and involvement in health care.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Lead design of strategies and innovations, including adaptation of evidence-based approaches for increasing access to quality health services by women, girls and children while also addressing low uptake of HIV prevention, care, and treatment by men, either for themselves or on behalf of their families and partners
· Provide technical support and guidance to sub-contractors and implementing partners on integration of gender strategies into their work.
· Contribute gender, youth, and social inclusion analysis (including a gender norm mapping exercise) to inform program design
· Contribute to the development of a comprehensive strategy to address gender-related issues to impact access and coverage for HIV prevention, care, and treatment services, especially by Adolescents, Youth, Women and Girls (AYWG)
· Provide technical assistance to institutionalize successful approaches in gender, youth and social inclusion;
· Provide guidance on best practices in the field.
· Review social and behavior change communication and group education materials that seek to transform norms on gender and gender-based violence to ensure they are gender-sensitive and transformative.
· Adapt trainings for health providers on issues such as respectful care, gender sensitive health service delivery, gender-based violence and engaging men in health.
· Conduct supportive supervision to ensure that the above has been well applied in health services, education and outreach.
REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
· Excellent technical skills e.g. HIV prevention, youth reproductive health and gender.
· Sensitivity of cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV prevention, care and treatment, health and gender.
· Ability to work with others and maintain compatibility among project staff, sub-contractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
· Ability to work with minimum supervision, team player with drive and initiative.
· Ability to travel regionally, nationally and internationally as needed.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS STANDARDS:
· Master Degree public health or related advanced degree with 5-7 years’ relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with 7-9 years’ relevant experience in HIV prevention, gender mainstreaming
· Relevant experience in international development work preferably focused on gender and institutional development/organizational change and/or gender mainstreaming or related fields (capacity building/accountability/enabling environment/mainstreaming gender in a sector,
· Strong analytical skills.
· Strong technical capacity and practical experience in designing and implementing youth focused and gender sensitive development programs.
· Excellent group facilitation, multi-stakeholder consultation, and strategic planning skills.
· Excellent capacity-building and training skills.
· Strong writing skills, both for technical and program reports.
· Strong interpersonal skills, able to work well in cross-cultural teams and under tight deadlines.
· Excellent computer skills in MS Office Suite.
· Working knowledge of Kiswahili is crucial.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.