Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: External Consultant
Contract duration: UP TO ONE YEAR
Closing Date: Feb 27, 2018, 1:59:00 AM
Primary Location: Switzerland-Geneva
Organization: : HQ/RHR - Reproductive Health and Research
The World Health Organization's Department of Reproductive Health and Research (RHR) works to enable people to protect their own health as it relates to sexuality and reproduction and to receive quality health care in matters related to sexual and reproductive health. To achieve this, the Department advocates and promotes sound public health strategies, sets norms and standards, engages in technical cooperation activities, draws on research and global expertise to set norms and standards and develop global guidelines on sexual and reproductive health and rights. WHO/RHR has published clinical and policy guidelines for responding to intimate partner violence, sexual violence against women, and children and adolescents who have been sexually abused. It has also developed implementation tools that translate these guidelines into practical instructions and job aids to help health care providers and health managers to provide clinical care and plan and manage services. An increasing number of countries and partners are requesting WHO for technical support in translating these guidelines and tools into policy and practice. To respond to these requests and in collaboration with WHO regional and country offices, WHO is establishing a roster of consultants who would be available to provide such support to countries.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The consultant will work, in collaboration with the Violence Against Women (VAW) team in Headquarters to build capacity, provide technical assistance and support to countries in the process of adaptation and implementation of WHO guidelines to address violence against women and against children. Specific activities will include:
- To provide expertise to countries requesting support for adapting relevant WHO guidelines and tools for the health sector response to violence against women and support other related capacity strengthening activities, as relevant.
A degree in medicine, public health, nursing, midwifery, other clinical degrees, or social sciences
Advanced degree in any health sciences
A minimum of 5 years of experience working in health of which two year of international experience.At least two years of experience in working on issues of sexual and reproductive health and/or violence against women. Experience in working with partners implementing policy guidance.
Clinical experience on women’s health, obstetrics and gynecology or primary health care, international health experience, good understanding of gender equality and health considerations. Experience with counselling.
Fluency in either French and/or English is required.
Knowledge of another UN language. Knowledge of Portuguese and Arabic is an asset.
Specific skills required:
- Strong inter-personal and facilitation or training skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate in a clear and credible way
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Producing results
- Team work
- Ensuring effective use of resources
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in a mandatory 5 day training on WHO guidelines, tools and methodologies for adapting and facilitating the trainings in countries. This training course will be held in Geneva, Switzerland from 04-08 June 2018. Participation in this training is part of the roster selection process
- Successful candidates will be included in the roster for consideration for future contractual engagement via a consultancy, as they become available.
- The precise Terms of Reference in the event of any future contractual engagement via a consultancy in the field of violence against women, will be subject to confirmation, in due course.
- The remuneration levels of consultancy contracts are determined based on professional profile and number of years of relevant work experience of selected candidates.
- INCLUSION IN THE ROSTER DOES NOT GUARANTEE ANY FUTURE CONTRACTUAL RELATIONSHIP WITH WHO.