IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded new media support program in Ukraine. The Chief of Party will be based in Kiev and will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to a robust media support program
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 7-10 years of progressive international experience working in journalism (broadcast and/or multiplatform) media sector strengthening and reform, civic engagement, or related fields, with experience working in Ukraine or Eastern Europe strongly preferred
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded media development project management experience)
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; media, civil society, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives
- Strong understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape in Ukraine preferred, as well as of the current issues (media development, press freedom, market conditions, regulatory/legal reform) facing the media sector
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- Proficiency in in Ukranian and/or Russian a plus