Through web-based activities there are knowledge management and information sharing projects, training programmes as well as workshops on key themes that are being addressed by the BDO initiative which are being undertaken by each partner.
The programme's five key areas of activity are:
- Strengthening local capacity in developing countries to address policy and regulatory environments.
- Supporting a programme of demand led pilot projects, implemented as part of an ongoing series of stakeholder ICT roundtable processes in selected developing countries.
- Supporting information inclusion for the poor through activities on community media and linking old and new ICTs.
- A strategic partnership with a global 'development' Internet partner.
- Knowledge and research activities in key areas to support the programme.
The programme has been put together as a partnership involving several participating organisations. They are: Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation , International Institute for Communication and Development, One World International, Panos, World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters, DFID, and DGIS.