This toolkit, published by Southern Africa HIV and AIDS Information Dissemination Service (SAfAIDS), shares information, tools, activities, and skills building ideas to support organisations and individuals to better understand the needs of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) community. It was published to provide accurate and necessary information pertaining to African sexualities, human sexuality, and sexual minorities, and specifically addresses how sexual orientation and gender identity relates to and interconnects with HIV and gender-based violence.
The SAfAIDS LGBTI Toolkit includes a facilitator's handbook on integrating LGBTI issues into HIV and Gender Based Violence (GBV) prevention programmes, as well as information booklets related to LGBTI rights and protection as human rights. The materials are designed to build knowledge and skills around the rights and needs of LGBTI with specific reference to preventing both HIV and GBV, and reducing the risk of LGBTI people to both epidemics. They are also designed to be advocacy and support tools to build policy and programming for LGBTI communities within the HIV and GBV sector, at community, national, and regional levels.
The toolkit consists of the following.
- Introduction Sheet
- A Facilitators Handbook: Integrating LGBTI Issues into HIV & GBV Prevention
- Booklet: Ensuring LGBTI Rights and Protection as Human Rights!
- Booklet: Gays and Bisexual Men - Linking to HIV & GBV Prevention
- Booklet: Lesbians and Bisexual Women - Linking to HIV & GBV Prevention
- Booklet: Transgender People - Linking to HIV & GBV Prevention
- Booklet: Intersex People - Linking to HIV & GBV Prevention
- Know Much More: Booklet on Frequently Asked Questions and Myths & Misconceptions
- African Manifesto on LGBTI (2010)
- CD with presentations to support your training
SAFAIDS website on January 9 2012.