This 4-page fact sheet, published by the Southern Africa HIV and AIDS Information Dissemination Service (SAfAIDS), is designed to provide basic information about gender-based violence (GBV) and its link to HIV and AIDS, including information about the issues, forms, and factors that fuel GBV amongst women and girls. According to the fact sheet, violence against women is a political issue requiring strong political will in order to be addressed as a matter of priority.
The fact sheet includes the following sections:
- What is GBV?
- What forms does GBV take?
- What factors fuel the GBV epidemic amongst women and girls?
- Why should policy makers address GBV?
- What are some international and regional policy instruments that policy makers can refer to when taking action?
- What must policy makers do to curb the GBV epidemic in Southern Africa?
SAfAIDS website on April 23 2010.