This resource book was produced by the Southern Africa HIV and AIDS Information Dissemination Service (SAfAIDS), a member of the Southern Africa Gender Protocol Alliance. The purpose of this resource tool is to summarise and analyse the commitments and targets relating to Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights & HIV provided for in SADC Protocol on Gender and Development which was adopted and signed at the 28th Summit of Heads of State and Government held in August 2008 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The goals of the document are to:
- Inform civil society and relevant stakeholders of the area that speak to sexual and reproductive health and HIV which are covered in the Protocol
- Identify and discuss the key targets in the Protocol as they relate to sexual and reproductive health rights and HIV
- Present suggestions for how civil society can meet set targets
- Identify key challenges for civil society in meeting targets set out in the Protocol
- Identify priority areas for civil society advocacy and programming in the areas of sexual and reproductive health rights and HIV.
As stated in the document, this is a practical tool which can be used as an advocacy and profile-raising tool for use in efforts to enable gender and HIV friendly policy transformation processes targeting civil society and policy makers.