Bangladesh Institute of ICT in Development (BIID)
ICT for Development, Project and Business Model Design for Telecenters
Bangladesh Institute of ICT in Development (BIID) is a distinct initiative to support development and promotion of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) based services in Bangladesh. The distinction of BIID lies in clear identification of ICT market development opportunities through continuous knowledge management, innovation and development. In recent days ICT has evolved as an effective tool in development dynamics and created enormous opportunities by IT revolution which means widespread access to, sharing of and use of information (knowledge) in economic and social activities. In the context of the developing world, ICT enabled development & business initiatives are useful only to the extent that there is complimentary tangible and intangible capital, including human, R&D Capital, and knowledge capital.
Services offered by BIID:
- Consultancy - Although it came into being in 2008, the leadership behind BIID draws on many years of experience and exposures to ICT for Development (ICT4D) both home and abroad. BIID offers a range of consulting services that are aimed at contributing to improve livelihood, business development of enterprises and initiatives engaged in ICT enabled knowledge based services.
- Research & Development - Research and Development is at the core of BIID’s approach to ICT for development. R&D services offered by BIID are aimed at development of business models, services and community outreach strategies for Telecentres and other ICT4D initiatives in rural Bangladesh.
- Content Creation & Delivery - Useful and user friendly content is vital in delivering communication services targeted to rural entrepreneurs and communities. Supported by its competence in R & D, BIID specializes in facilitating development of general and location-specific content through its linkages with academic community, research organizations, private and public providers of information.
- Advocacy - BIID uses interactive media and events to bring favorable changes in the environment (policy, awareness/readiness) to support development and promotion of ICT based initiatives. Knowledge and Skills Development Based on its understanding of specific training needs of human resources engaged in operation of ICT4D projects and in the provision of information based service delivery mechanism, BIID offers skill development support for prospective organizations and service providers.
- Knowledge Transfer - The leadership behind BIID has developed a knowledge base on ICT4D through active participation and sharing with local and international forums. BIID plans to continuously build on it by working in the field so that it can become a major contributor of knowledge to practitioners, researchers, policymakers and other stakeholders both home and abroad through capturing the lessons and sharing with relevant stakeholders.