The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Community SBCC Advisor to support the International Health Division. The Community SBCC Advisor will work with Ministry of Health (MoH) and relevant stakeholders to improve the quality of health care services in target districts. This position will be based in Lira.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the Technical Director of Community Engagement and Resilience with the design, implementation and day-to-day management of all SBCC activities related to strengthening community health programming to effectively respond to HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Family Planning (FP), Maternal Neonatal and Child Health (MNCH), and Nutrition issues.
- Assist the Technical Director of Community Engagement and Resilience in identifying activities across the project which would benefit from SBCC strategies to facilitate individual acceptance of interventions and improve community mobilization.
- Work with the team and MOH counterparts to improve community health program uptake using evidence-based approaches. Ensure that all SBCC materials are pre-tested, proven effective and used efficiently and by the correct target group.
- Collaborate with other technical advisors within the project as well as stakeholders beyond the project to ensure coordination of materials and SBCC strategies and to avoid gaps and overlaps.
- Manage the collaboration with Communication for Healthy Communities, community mobilizers, and/or consultants hired by the project to assist with BCC or community level work. This includes building capacity of local implementing partners to implement quality and successful SBCC work.
- Work with M&E Team and Technical Director to help develop, maintain, and monitor the indicators set in the work plan for SBCC and community-level activities.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in Development Communications, Media, Broadcasting, Public Health, Medicine, Social Sciences (such as Medical Anthropology), Education, or other related field.
- 4+ years of professional experience working on SBCC-related tasks on projects with national or local governments, NGOs, or donors (USAID preferred).
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with development communications issues and solutions, especially in public health.
- Proven abilities to set priorities, to multi-task, and to work collaboratively across technical disciplines. Ability to work both independently as well as part of a large team.
- Superb inter-personal, written and oral communication skills. Must be fluent in English & Luo.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.