• Over 10 years experience in internal and external communication and media relations as media officer for emergency response and recovery programming, capacity building, fund-raising and resource mobilization in disaster and conflict-affected areas in the Philippines
• Over 25 years experience in multi-media development communication for change, media relations and training in public information, education, action and advocacy campaigns, community organizing and mobilizing in Asia, East Africa, and Europe for local and international NGOs, media organizations, academe, and government
Areas of Expertise:
News and documentary video production, evocative documentary photography and reportage, multi-media development communication, social media, communication campaign planning, programme management, multi-media and community development training, creative/technical writing, visual anthropology
Areas of Interest:
marginalized and vulnerable populations, DRR, humanitarian response, OVCs, WASH, HIV/AIDS, gender-based violence, primary health care, biodiversity conservation and management, primary education, adult literacy, indigenous peoples, media studies, communication as aid
Skills, Background and Experiences:
Emergency Communication for Disaster and Conflict Situations:
- More than 10 years experience in multi-media humanitarian reportage, e.g., press releases, video stories, photo essays, public information materials and proactive community information sharing e.g., community dialogue and feedback, helpdesks, notice boards, staff memos and the like on the context, needs, and challenges of emergency food relief and shelter, WASH, rescue and recovery for victims of Mt. Pinatubo and Mt. Mayon volcanic eruptions, Metro Manila/Rizal/Southern Luzon floods, typhoons and landslides as well as other vulnerable populations affected by land-grabbing, secessionist movements, and military operations vis-a-vis insurgents, as media manager and producer of a multi-sector support network of NGOs, e.g, AsiaVisions Media Foundation, Citizen’s Disaster Response Center, Ecumenical Movement for Justice and Peace, Peasant Movement of the Philippines,Luzon/National Secretariat for Social Action, People’s Media Network, Amnesty International Philippines.
Media Relations and Networking:
- Coordinated, liaised with, pitched stories, briefed, and organized field trips for local and international broadcast, radio, and print journalists, e.g. Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (Society of Philippine Broadcasters), FOCAP (Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines) for coverage of peasant and other national issues, including conflict and disaster situations, e.g., drought, floods, land-grabbing and militarization;
- Organized press interviews for and coached spokespersons of the Peasant Movement of the Philippines, Ecumenical Movement for Justice and Peace, Citizen’s Disaster Response Center, and other NGOS to ensure their maximum and up-to-date visibility during conflict and disaster situations;
- Led in establishing a People’s Media Network in the Philippines to coordinate and maximize complementary media work among NGOs for quick response in multi-sector advocacies, action, and humanitarian campaigns;
- Organized and managed international documentary videos in the Philippines for foreign media, e.g., Productions Multi-Monde, (Canada), Alley Kat Productions (Australia), and acted as Philippine production coordinator including logistics preparation, etc;
- Spoke on television and radio, briefed the press, testified in government and NGO committee meetings.
Social Media, Public Awareness, Advocacy and Campaigns:
- Tweeted (@marlenefrancia), blogged, videoblogged, and posted human interest and success stories, info materials, e.g., http://miamanila.multiply.com/video/item/24/Call_to_Meeting_for_Filipinos_in_Kenya, http://marlenefrancia.com/Once%20upon%20a%20time%20in%20Mandera.html
- Conceptualized and implemented communication campaign strategies, e.g., produced documentary videos and photo essays, wrote press releases, news features, edited newsletters, designed flyers and posters, wrote handouts and various IEC materials; organized symposia and roundtable discussions, video outreach screenings, on- the-spot poster and painting contests for public awareness, call-to-action on social issues, e.g., gender and development, citizenship participation and good governance of local and international NGOs, e.g., Galing Pook Foundation and UNIFEM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6RdzHtO9Rs;
- Projected the global education and action campaigns of international NGOs, e.g., Action Against Hunger, on the success stories of their blanket feeding program among the Somali in drought-affected Northeastern Kenya through evocative documentary photography and reportage, (samples at www.acf.org and www.marlenefrancia.com);
- Wrote and photographed for action campaign print and online materials on climate change for VSO, e.g., http://www.vsojitolee.org/news/gallery.asp;
- Delivered high quality professional media for international media organizations such as the Nairobi website segment of the National Film Board of Canada project on high-rise living and slum upgrading, (www.highrise.nfb.ca/prologue/);
- Produced and disseminated high quality documentary videos for social marketing, call-to-action, and public awareness on key social issues for local NGOs, e.g. Institute of Occupational Health and Safety for Development and the Foundation for the Philippine Environment (www.advocacyvideos.com);
- Raised public awareness and knowledge about people, places, wildlife, and culture, through visual anthropology and photo essays in Kenya and Uganda for online blogs and websites, e.g., CNN iReport, http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-521299, www.marlenefrancia.com, and www.flickr.com/photos/marlenefrancia;
- Furthered cross-cultural understanding among schoolchildren between the Philippines and Belgium through videos and other info materials for a children’s multi-media hands-on workshop and a long running photo exhibit on perceptions of Europe from a Filipina’s point-of-view in Belgium.
Resource Mobilization and Fund-raising:
- Engaged in emergency resource mobilization, e.g., raise funds for incarcerated Filipino fishers in Tanzania through public information campaigns and rapid advisories within the Philippine community in Kenya;
- Raised funds through participatory video, e.g., by working together with indigenous peoples of the Philippines, produced innovative and ground-breaking project proposals for biodiversity conservation in video format submitted to and successfully funded by the UNDP;
- Conceptualized, researched, and sourced funds for participatory documentary video projects, e.g. FGM vis-à-vis traditional culture and OVCs vis-à-vis AIDS/HIV and behaviour change.
Capacity Building and Training
- Designed and delivered a course syllabus and mentored students on the theory and practice of communication for development and change, the language and methods of creative communication, broadcast criticism, basic and advanced video production for television, e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SSp6tk9LdY;
- Trained staff on project development and management to increase their skills and capacity;
- Coached spokespersons on media relations, public speaking and media projection;
- Conceptualized and developed training curricula and materials on leadership and development;
- Organized and facilitated training workshops and seminars for community development workers and rural and urban community leaders.
- Conducted multi-media trainings and workshops on news and feature writing, photography, video, website design, print and social media for the advocacy, campaigns, donor reporting and resource generation of local and international NGOs, e.g., Maasai Aids Awareness Programme in Kajiado, Kenya, the Filipino community in Nairobi, the International Institute for Rural Reconstruction and the People’s Media Network in the Philippines, various community media staff in South and Southeast Asia and the like.