I work at the BBC World Service Trust. My interests span many different areas but underlying them all – is the use of media for development. I am also interested in how we can use new media - social networking mobile phones etc.
• My Life – a user generated content project with young women in the Middle East – developed partnerships with local NGOs in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Syria and Yemen. Outputs included the girls’ digital stories in Arabic on the BBC Arabic web-site, creative digital story-telling workshops, events in country, final event in Egypt, BBC World debate and a television documentary.
• The 2015 project – a multi-media project that looks at issues around the Millennium Development Goals – including television debates with BBC World, a web site, television documentaries and radio programmes with the language Services of BBC World Service.
• Teacher Education in Sub-Saharan Africa (TESSA) – a distance-learning project with the Open University, The African Virtual University and Universities in Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya and Ghana.
• I have a right to … a human rights project with the language Services of the BBC World Service.
• The right to refuge – developed the project concept with UNHCR. Working with the language Services at BBC World Service to develop a project that looked at the situation of refugees including Afghanistan, French West Africa and Colombia. .
• Executive Producer on four BBC World Debates:
• Debate in recorded in Johannesburg to mark Eradication of Poverty Day October 2004. Key Interview: Tony Blair.
• BBC World debate on Climate Change linked to the Planet under Pressure - web-site developed by BBC News On-line – linked to Kyoto follow up -December 2004 on BBC World. Also linked to BBC World Service radio.
• BBC World debate on Women in the Arab World - linked to the My Life project- April 2005.
• BBC World Debate with Stephen Sakur in New York timed to coincide with the UN Summit in New York. Also broadcast as the opening radio programme on the Who Rules my World Season – special emphasis on young people. Satellite link with New Delhi. September 2005