Opportunity in Washington, DC
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted through ZemiTek partnered with CAMRIS International, to recruit and hire qualified individuals for the following position:
Title: Communications Advisor (Consultant)
United States Agency for International Development/Bureau of Africa/Office of Development Planning/Policy, Outreach, Strategy and Evaluation Division (DP/POSE)
With more than 30 years' experience providing information technology (IT) and management consulting services worldwide, Rosa Caldas, formed ZemiTek in 2007. Based in the Washington, DC metro area, ZemiTek delivers solutions to the federal government by supporting agencies such as USAID, US Patent and Trademark Office, US Department of Justice, US Department of Agriculture, and Department of Homeland Security, among others; and internationally to their missions in Africa, Asia, Europe and Eurasia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and the Middle East.
CAMRIS International is among the top 20 USAID contractors for the third year in a row. CAMRIS realizes innovative solutions to health and development challenges through high-quality, cost-effective programs and research management services. With experience working in more than 80 countries, CAMRIS combines proven systems with today's most effective, evidence-based best practices to improve the lives of people around the world.
The Bureau for Africa's Communication and Outreach team seeks an energetic communications specialist for a short -term assignment. The communications team is part of the Africa Bureau's Office of Development Planning (AFR/DP). AFR/DP provides leadership for Bureau strategy and policy development and overseas monitoring, evaluation and assessment of performance of Africa Bureau programs. AFR/DP identifies and addresses crosscutting development issues, manages the allocation and tracking of budget resources, assesses the impact of assistance, coordinates assistance with other donors, provides guidance on overall program and budgeting strategy and policies, and coordinates public outreach on USAID Africa programs. The Communications Advisor will report to the head of AFR/DP/Policy, Outreach, Strategy and Evaluation Division (POSE) and coordinate closely with the Africa Bureau Senior Communications Advisor. The Communications Advisor will be the Bureau's key point of contact on assigned communications matters and coordinates between field, USAID and other stakeholders as necessary and will provide general outreach and communication support to the USAID Africa Bureau.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Backstop and collaborate with field Mission Development Outreach and Communications (DOC) staff. Advise Mission DOC staff on use of key communications tools; provide guidance and support on public facing content for USAID website and social media.
- Write and edit public documents, speeches, talking points, and other products (including social media) aimed at key stakeholders such as the Congress, think tanks, media, etc.
- Work with USAID Legislative and Public Affairs Office on AFR submissions to USAID publications and press coverage of AFR programs.
- Lead the design and production of USAID AFR publications, which could include electronic newsletters, annual reports, or special publications.
- Ensure that AFR website is up to date, using most recent field reports and independent USAID Mission submissions. Lead and conduct outreach to encourage use of Bureau websites and contribution of relevant material (including to the USAID “Transforming Lives” website, USAID photo gallery, and the Development Experience Clearinghouse).
- Other tasks as necessary.
DELIVERABLES AND ACTIVITIES
- Create outreach activities action plan (calendar for social media activities through the end of the year).
- Revise/update Africa Bureau social media toolkit.
- Produce at least 10 revised/updated mission publications including but not limited to (Budget Fact sheets, success stories, Frontlines articles.)
- Develop a guide (5 pages) for Mission DOC staff reviewing updated content/messaging for USAID website and social media.
- Create report highlighting recommendations on improvements for DOC coordination and backstopping
- Create monthly report on updates to AFR related content on the USAID website.
- Create collaterals for re-launching re-designed internal Africa Bureau Resources website. May include designing presentation to use at orientation for new Africa Bureau employees to familiarize them with available bureau communication services/information resources.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field including journalism, communications, or a related degree.
- Minimum seven (7) years' progressively responsible experience in the communications field, planning, writing, editing, and producing communications through a variety of print and online media, with new media technology utilization, with at least two (2) years' experience in an international or resource challenged setting.
- Must be able to write well and persuasively under pressure/deadline; strong editorial expertise
- Experience with content management, content production and social media
- Experience working with press
- Knowledge of theories and principles of development assistance, particularly in Africa, and particularly of USAID work in Africa.
- Outstanding organizational and planning abilities.
- Experience developing communications products in design software a plus.
Interested candidates should submit their CV, two writing samples, and a sample of design work (if available).
This is an opportunity for employment or a contract, but we reserve the right to make no selection or award.
ZemiTek and CAMRIS International offer competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits.
ZemiTek and CAMRIS International are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.