- Award-winning science journalist
- Expert at drawing out the story of YOUR work for achieving YOUR goals
- Design and create dynamic, multi-media digital content
- Communication strategist for campaigns, behavior change, advocacy
- Train and coach executives and others for persuasive public speaking; media interviews; clear writing; telling your story; creativity--with experience in eight countries
- Social media strategy and management
Pro-level photographer with visual stories in exhibits, Websites, publications
- Author and speechwriter
- Skilled and humorous workshop facilitator
- Work-level fluency in French
- Topic specialties: communicating research; environment, energy, gender
- U.S. citizen
IMPACT AFRICA, Washington DC and Nairobi, Kenya from 2014
Senior Communications Consultant and Story Crafter
- Develop and implement communication strategies for clients including Beyond Zero, the Kenya First Lady's health campaign, the African Economic Research Institute, the East African Community, African Agricultural Technology Foundation, and other health and development organizations.
U.S. AGENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (USAID), Nairobi, Kenya, 2009-13
Development Outreach & Communications Specialist
- Reinvented the USAID/Kenya website, which became a model for other Missions.
- Photographed field work and produced compelling multimedia stories.
- Wrote and edited talking points, speeches, backgrounders for U.S. Ambassadors and USAID Mission Directors.
- Created strategic comms plans as well as exceptional annual reports and calendars highlighting USAID programs, to reach new host-country audiences.
- Recruited and trained a team of seven staffers and interns for USAID 50th anniversary events and to extend our reach in publications and social media
- Led creation of mentorship program that two-thirds of staff swiftly joined
- Received a trophy for contributions to Kenya communications program.
DOUGLIS CREATIVE, Washington, DC & East Africa, 2001-2009
Principal Communications Consultant
- Developed communications strategy and materials for UNICEF-Rwanda to improve education for girls. Provided communications capacity-building to partners.
- Conducted communications training of researchers, managers and staff in six countries in Africa and Asia on clear writing, presentation skills, advocacy, media.
- Authored UN’s Environmental Storybook Series for Children—seven books—which garnered global recognition and are translated into five languages.
- Wrote/ edited a manual for communities in East Africa on conservation-based development, published by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Wrote Plant for the Planet: a book on the UN’s Billion Tree Campaign.
AFRICAN WILDLIFE FOUNDATION (AWF), Nairobi, Kenya, 1999-2001
Communications & Marketing Officer
- Created and delivered communications classes to staff and partners.
- Produced “success stories,” distributed by funder USAID as model communications.
- Wrote a variety of stories on wildlife conservation for publications and the website.
FINCA INTERNATIONAL, Washington, DC, 1996-1998
Communications & Development Manager
- Launched communications program for leading international microcredit agency.
- Directed award-winning website (FINCA’s first) and award-winning documentary
- Pitched articles that appeared in many publications including the Washington Post, Associated Press (AP) and the Wall Street Journal (WSJ).
- Coached staff in public speaking and media relations.
WASHINGTON IMPROV THEATER (WIT!), Washington, DC, 1986-1999
Founder and Artistic Director
- Founded and grew the longest-running comedy improv troupe in the region.
- Transformed hundreds of nervous speakers into confident improvisers.
- Designed and delivered creativity training for corporate clients.
Science writing, communications:
- Wrote for National Geographic Books for 4 years, including a Frontline and Discovery chapter on climate change and civilization—NatGeo’s first major story on climate change.
- Main author for National Geographic Guide to the National Parks, which kicked off NatGeo’s guidebook series and has sold hundreds of thousands.
- Director of Communications for the Worldwatch Institute for 3 years, doubling attendance at and coverage from press conferences.
Training: Conducted highly acclaimed workshops on communications, conflict management, improv for activists, and creativity through spontaneous theater.
Freelance journalism: Wrote cover story on population and environment for Wilderness Magazine, which won “Best Magazine Article” from Population Action
- Also published by Atlantic Monthly (the real economics of nuclear power), Psychology Today (rhythms of communication), and World Watch.
- Finalist in the Livingstone Awards for Young Journalists for a Harper’s cover story—an inside look at the African National Congress during South Africa’s apartheid war.
MALD, International Relations, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Medford, MA
- Focused on International Food, Agriculture & Nutrition, and Global Environment
A.B. in History of Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Graduated Magna cum Laude; emphasized History and Environmental Studies.
Recent graduate courses and/or certificates in:
Net-Mapping; Social Advocacy; Experiential Training; Communications and Outreach; Trauma Awareness; Intercultural Conflict Transformation