In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year contract to Management Systems International (MSI) to provide performance management support to USAID-sponsored development programs throughout Pakistan. The Performance Management Support Contract (PERFORM) serves as a centralized management support mechanism that provides services in (1) monitoring, (2) evaluation, (3) assessment, and (4) learning support. PERFORM provides data and information to help USAID/Pakistan project managers improve results through better implementation, design, and learning, enabling it to better target its programming and achieve its goals and objectives.
***Please note: Only citizens of Pakistan are eligible for this position.***
MSI is seeking an Agriculture Sector Expert with knowledge of and experience in institutional capacity building to be part of the team that will conduct the final evaluation of USAID-funded Agriculture Innovation Program (AIP). AIP works to increase agricultural productivity and incomes by building the capacity of Pakistan’s agricultural research institutions to adapt and disseminate productivity- and value-enhancing technologies and practices to farmers. AIP focuses on four sectors: cereals (wheat, maize, and rice), livestock, horticulture, and vegetables. The project partners international agricultural research institutes and universities with the Pakistan Agricultural Research Council (PARC) and other public and private stakeholders. The international organizations introduce potential technologies and practices (e.g., genetic material) and work with PARC to do the adaptive research necessary to determine which technologies and practices are best suited to Pakistan’s various agro-economic zones. The evaluation will focus largely on assessing the extent to which the program has built the research and development capacities of partner institutions; revitalized research an innovation; and affected the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behavior of researchers, farmers, and others with which it has engaged. The results of the evaluation will guide the implementing partners and USAID in improving program performance.
The evaluation will begin on or about April 1, 2017 and finish by the end of July 2017. The anticipated level of effort for the Agriculture Sector Expert is approximately 65-70 days. The team will include a team leader, local agricultural sector experts, and other support as necessary.
- Provide agriculture and institutional capacity building sector expertise to the design, planning, implementation, analysis, and reporting phases of the evaluation.
- Participate in the team planning workshop and in developing data collection instruments, a data collection plan, and a data analysis plan.
- Participate in a briefing with USAID staff prior to field work.
- Coordinate with implementing partner staff to organize interviews and meetings for the assigned evaluation area.
- Conduct interviews with project stakeholders and prepare detailed notes.
- Participate in analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Identify and document findings, conclusions, and recommendations on area(s) assigned in the evaluation.
- Participate in the presentation of evaluation results to USAID and implementing partners.
- Contribute to preparing the evaluation report and briefing papers, if required.
- At least a Master’s degree in agriculture or another relevant field and 10 years of professional experience or a Ph.D. with at least 5 years of experience.
- Knowledge of institutional development and the agricultural research structure in Pakistan. Knowledge of the horticulture and livestock sub-sectors is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience evaluating development projects, preferably USAID projects.
- Excellent communication skills, especially in written and spoken English.
- Fluent in quantitative and/or qualitative research methods.
- Ability/willingness to conduct field work.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.