This collection of Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) resources was drawn together as part of The Health COMpass's ongoing series of "Trending Topics," theme-based collections of health communication resources and tools for the online portal's users. This Health COMpass "Trending Topic" covers the subject of school-related gender-based violence and provides a selection of tools and project materials designed to address this issue.
As stated in the introduction to this resource collection, "an estimated 246 million girls and boys are harassed and abused in and around school every year. Girls are particularly vulnerable to school-related gender-based violence (SRGBV), which often stems from deeply rooted cultural beliefs and practices, power imbalances and gender norms. SRGBV is a human rights issue and an education issue: a violation of human rights and a serious barrier to learning. The physical health consequences of forced sex include exposure to sexually transmitted diseases as well as unwanted conception, high-risk adolescent pregnancy and childbirth, and unsafe abortions."
The tools in the collection include the following, and users are encouraged to continuously add materials to the collection:
- Student Training Manual on School-Related Gender-Based Violence Prevention and Response-Doorways
- Community Counselor Training Manual: Doorways II
- Teacher Training Manual on Gender-Based Violence Prevention and Response: Doorways III
- Girl Safety Toolkit: A Resource for Practitioners
- Multi-Sector Partnerships for Preventing Violence
- A Multi-Sector Approach to Preventing Violence
- Addressing Violence against Women and Girls in Education Programming
The Health COMpass website on January 19 2016; and email from Susan Leibtag to The Communication Initiative on May 9 2017.