Soul Beat Africa is a knowledge management initiative focusing on communication and media for social change in Africa. We offer an online space for people and organisations to access and share information and to engage in discussion and debate. The site is meant for development practitioners, the media and media institutions, academics, researchers, and anyone who is using or is interested in communication for development in Africa.
(For more information on Communication for Development, click here for a Soul Beat e-newsletter on this topic.)
Soul Beat Africa is a collaboration between the Soul City Institute for Health and Development Communication and The Communication Initiative. Based in South Africa, we form part of the CI network which also includes: The Communication Initiative: Global - in English, with a worldwide overview and focus (based in Canada and the United States) and La Iniciativa de Comunicacion: Latin America - in Spanish, with a worldwide overview and focus on the Latin American experience and context (based in Columbia).
Soul Beat Africa's activities:
The Soul Beat Africa website
The website offers a database of summarised knowledge on communication for development in Africa. These include:
- Programme Experiences - Descriptions of programmes, activities and projects dealing with communication for development across Africa.
- Evaluations - Evaluations and impact data from projects and activities that use media and communication for development.
- Strategic Thinking - Summaries of research reports that aim to form the basis for communication, change and development policies and interventions.
- Materials - These are resources for communication practitioners, including toolkits, manuals, reference documents, and multimedia that support the use of communication as a tool for development.
- Awards and Funding Opportunities - a listing of fellowships, grants, scholarships, and internships.
- Events and Training - a list of conferences and training opportunities to support communication activities.
The content covers a range of development issues (eg. health, HIV/AIDS, education, environment, governance, gender etc.), communication tools (eg.radio, television, theatre, information and communication technologies (ICTS) etc.) and communication approaches (eg.advocacy, edutainment, social marketing etc.).
Soul Beat Africa Theme websites
Soul Beat Africa theme sites are topic focused sub-sites within the overall Soul Beat Africa website which have been developed with support from our funding partners. Currently we have the following theme sites (click on title to view the sites):
The Soul Beat e-newsletter - a bi-weekly electronic magazine featuring a themed selection of information from the Soul Beat Africa website, which reaches over 16,000 people from across Africa and globally. Click here to view The Soul Beat e-newsletter archives.
Soul Beat Extras - issue-specific e-newsletters that correspond to the theme sites. They highlight the latest information posted on a particular themesite.
Click here to subscribe to The Soul Beat e-newsletter (and indicate your interests if you would like to receive specialised newsletters).
Online Networking Groups
The Communication Initiative offers an online networking platform to discuss a range of issues related to communication for development. Click here to register for any of these groups.
Stay Connected to Soul Beat Africa
Follow us on Twitter – @SoulBeatAfrica https://twitter.com/SoulBeatAfrica
Visit us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/SoulBeatAfrica
Subscribe to our RSS feed http://www.comminit.com/africa/promoted-rss.xml/38
Please send your comments, queries or information to the editorial team at email@example.com